Thursday 26 January 2017

My first contribution to open source community

I DID IT - I have finally made my first contribution to the open source community. The steps to contribute to an open source community is long and hard - or so I thought - but it completely surprised me. With little knowledge on how to use github, I was able to make a very small contribution to the Bluebird community.

What did I do? Well, I saw that their package.json file was missing some keywords. It was not a bug or anything. I just felt that it required additional keyword, and so I forked the bluebird repository, and cloned it to my local computer. This allowed me to edit the .json file easily. After editing, I pushed the file into my github repository. Than I submitted a pull request to the bluebird admin.

Will he accept my pull request? It has been few days so far, but it does not seem like he will accept it anytime soon. He hasn't declined yet either. We'll just have to wait and found out!

No comments:

Post a Comment